Saturday, July 19, 2014

I Turned "Heel"

     Alright, guys, I know the difference between right and wrong. I know the difference between sports entertainment role playing and a personal attack based on inner bitchiness. In my last blog posting, I was guilty of the latter.
     I wanted to compose a blog entry that was well written and attention grabbing. Unfortunately, I fell into the same trap that many comedians fall into when they indulge in offensive humor to achieve notoriety.
     Marcus "The Spartan" Ares has already become a hugely popular persona in UCW due to the appeal of the wrestler who portrays that character. There is a huge, built-in following for large, muscular, ultra-macho types in sports-entertainment. I resented this fact. I preferred the type of wrestler who has dominated the UCW roster since the federation's inception -- the slender (some would say "swimmer's build"), in-shape, boyishly handsome types who are usually relegated to jobber roles in major federations.
     When fans of the large, bodybuilder type of wrestler criticized fans like me for having dissimilar tastes, I bristled. When Marcus appeared in UCW and received such an enthusiastic response from so many fans, my antagonism grew.
     Then UCW founder Michael "Bodyslam" interviewed Marcus for the currently featured Inside Scoop and remarked that Marcus had a waist that was right for the championship belt (while Eli's was so small that he had to carry the belt around). This really irked me. It seemed as though the type of wrestler who is so ubiquitous in other federations was being considered superior to the type that built UCW.
     Therefore, I posted a series of attacks on the physical appearance of the wrestler who portrays The Spartan. It wasn't sports entertainment blogging and couldn't be justified as mere role playing. I was simply giving my own sarcasm free reign to insult another human being. It was rude. It was tasteless. I apologize.
     As soon as I've posted this, I'm going to revise yesterday's blog entry. I'll keep the first half about the UCW title controversy, but I'll delete the second half. Once again, to the wrestler who portrays the Spartan, I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment